Did you know that taking care of your oral health is an important part of your pregnancy journey? Your body is rapidly changing, and you might notice that your teeth, gums, and mouth changes during and post pregnancy.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Frequent checkups are important and recommended during this time. X-rays can and should be taken if deemed necessary. Topical Fluoride may also be recommended for sensitivity and acid erosion.
- Nausea and vomiting can be a common side effect of pregnancy. Please do not brush your teeth after vomiting but instead swish with a dilution of 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. We want to protect your pearly whites!
- Brushing and flossing are now more important than ever! Oral bacteria love the surge of hormones that are helping with the pregnancy, so continue to brush and floss 2x/daily.
- Untreated dental disease can be harmful to you and your baby. Dental disease, such as periodontitis, has been associated with preterm birth, low birth weight, and an overall poor pregnancy.
- Yes, we see babies! We recommend an evaluation before the first birthday.
We want to wish you the very best during this time, and congratulations on this amazing journey! To get your appointment scheduled, head over to our appointment request page here.